What you’ll need:
1 can lager
1 3 1/2 to 4 lb chicken
2 tablespoons spice rub
- Pour out or drink half the beer.
- Leave one burner of your gas grill turned off and turn the other side to high; slip in a grill pan over the unlit burner. If you’ve got a charcoal grill, bank the coals on one side of the grill and place the drip pan on the empty side. Add 1/2” of water to the pan.
- Season the chicken with the spice rub of your choice.
- With legs facing down, place the beer can inside the cavity of the chicken. Situate the can and chicken on the grill over indirect heat, above the drip pan.
- Cover the chicken and grill until thoroughly cooked. The thickest part of the thighs should register 165 degrees Fahrenheit when ready (approximately 45-60 minutes). Charcoal cooking times may be longer.
- Let the chicken cool for about ten minutes, carve, and serve!